Rules and Regulations
Be aware of your surroundings and ride respectfully.
E-bikes are motorized bicycles that can look like conventional bicycles, scooters or limited-speed motorcycles. This information will help you learn the rules about e-bikes so you can ride safely.
What is an e-bike
E-bikes in Ontario must have:
- steering handlebars
- working pedals
- an electric motor not exceeding 500 Watts
- a maximum speed of 32 km/h
- a maximum weight of 120 kg
- a permanent label from the manufacturer in both English and French stating that your e-bike conforms to the federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle
It is illegal to modify your e-bike's motor to make it more powerful or to increase the speed of your e-bike.
What e-bike riders need
You don't need a driver's license, vehicle permit or license plate to ride an e-bike, but you do need to:
- be 16 or older
- wear an approved bicycle or motorcycle helmet
- keep your e-bike in good working order
You also need to follow the same rules of the road as regular cyclists.